Join Our Team!
One full-time position available. Animal Care Technicians perform routine animal care, facility cleaning, customer service, and related duties at the Cedar Valley Humane Society. Position will involve approximately 60% of the time spent working directly with animals and 40% of the time spent interacting with people. Must be able to lift 75 pounds.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND FUNCTIONS
- Provide appropriate quantity and quality of food and water to shelter animals daily; provide overall animal care including bathing and basic grooming.
- Monitor animals and immediately report health, behavior, or temperament issues to medical staff, behavior staff, or supervisor, as appropriate.
- Participate in stress and disease reduction efforts through purposeful and compassionate handling and placement of animals in the shelter environment.
- Perform animal intake, evaluation, and medical treatments as directed.
- Follow established disease control protocols to daily clean, disinfect, and maintain shelter kennels, cages, and all animal and general areas as assigned and instructed.
- Operate laundry, cleaning, dishwashing, and other equipment.
- Restock cleaning, feeding, and other supply areas and inform Director of Operations when reordering is necessary.
- Maintain equipment in good working condition and report need for repair or replacement of equipment to the Director of Operations.
- Assist in cleaning and maintenance of entire facility and grounds, as directed.
- Cultivate positive customer relations through professional, courteous, and educational interactions while actively promoting our mission, services, programs, and events.
- Provide prompt, courteous and excellent service to all internal and external customers at all times, including but not limited to adopters, staff, volunteers, board members, city and county officials and animal control officers, veterinarians, representatives of other rescue organizations, people looking for lost pets or relinquishing owned pets, and the general public.
- Assist customers with the pet adoption process by providing guidance, accurately answering questions, and facilitating customer/animal interactions including dog intros, child intros, and visiting room assistance to ensure a safe and pleasant experience.
- Practice and encourage the humane treatment of all animals.
- Assist the public in determining if lost pets are in the care of the CVHS.
- Work cooperatively with all volunteers, recognizing the talent and commitment they bring to the organization.
- Courteously and professionally direct the assigned tasks of community service workers.
- Additional Responsibilities
- Demonstrate knowledge of and adherence to CVHS policies and procedures.
- Ensure a safe work environment; follow all safety guidelines, and model safe work practices.
- Take immediate action to address any safety concerns that could put a staff member, volunteer, customer, animal, or the organization at risk.
- Follow direction of Shelter Manager and Executive Director.
- Perform other duties as assigned at any Cedar Valley Humane Society locations.Availability to work weekends, evenings, holidays, overtime and carry on-call phone for after-hours animal control calls.
- Frequent bending, reaching, kneeling, walking, standing, and sitting at a computer workstation.Exposure to disinfectant solutions when cleaning.
- Exposure to various weather conditions
- Subject to animal bites and scratches.
- Consistent exposure to animals and animal allergens.
- Ability to repeatedly lift up to 50 lbs as needed on a daily basis.
Animal care and customer service experience preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Commitment to mission, values, goals, and success of the Cedar Valley Humane Society with compassion and genuine affection for animals.
Highly motivated with string communication skills and an outgoing, polite, and professional manner.
Team player and self-starter, able to work in a fast-paced environment and demonstrate good judgment with minimal supervision.
Computer skills in a Windows environment.
Please email completed job application to Amanda.email@example.com.