The Cedar Valley Humane Society was established in 1901 as the Humane Society of the City of Cedar Rapids. The original shelter was located on Griffith Farm, and early cases involved cruelty and abuse of women, children, the elderly, horses, cattle, dogs, and cats. Investigations involving women, children, and the elderly were eventually dropped from society’s list of objectives, and in 1921, the organization changed its name to the Linn County Humane Society.
By 1923, the need for a permanent shelter became apparent, and a fundraising campaign began. In 1928, a property was purchased at 700 C Avenue NE for $3,000. This served as headquarters for the society until 1968, when the organization built its current facility at 7411 Mt. Vernon Rd SE.
In 1991, the organization changed its name again, this time to the Cedar Valley Humane Society. In 1997, the existing building was remodeled, and an additional wing was added to create room for the adult cat adoption room, new reception and office area, and grooming and laundry rooms. In 1998, the new kennels for adoptable dogs were completed.