If you have a working barn or safe protected outbuilding, there are cats who need you! Save a life and adopt a barn cat today!
Hundreds of outdoor, un-socialized cats enter our facility every year, these cats will never be able to be adopted as pets. Many of these cats were found as strays, they may be feral, semi-feral, or cats who have other behavior issues that make them “unadoptable” and unsuitable as indoor pets.
The CVHS created The Barn Cat program to give these cats a second chance. Without barn adopters, they have nowhere else to go. These cats are healthy, and in return for a safe and comfortable environment, they can become a working cat in your barn!
These cats require minimal care and provide a great service as they are a natural deterrent to mice, moles and barn vermin. Adopting a barn cat is also a great solution for people who love cats but cannot have them indoors due to allergies!
CVHS will provide the following for all Barn Cat Candidates
- Cats will appear to be in good health and have an initial exam.
- Cats will be spayed or neutered prior to placement.
- Cats will receive a rabies vaccination.
What’s Required, and How to Begin the Barn Cat Adoption Process
- You must be able to provide a safe environment and protection against the elements. Cats will need to have a means to escape from natural predators such as dogs and coyotes. Ideal locations include: barns, stables, industrial facilities, warehouse’s, residential acreages.
- A constant supply of food and fresh water
- A commitment to monitor and provide for their safety and well-being
- Submit an adoption application to the Cedar Valley Humane Society and indicate that you are looking for a barn cat.
- Cost is donation only — recommended donation is at least $20 (covers a large portion of spay/neuter).